The following gives you the owner builder a step by step insight into the process of building your own home. As builder’s ourselves it is a process that we follow regularly.
- Land purchase – once you have purchased your land it’s time to pick a home design. Getaway Homes has a wide range of designs easily modified to tailor your needs and living style.
- Home design purchase – Once you have decided on one of our designs set up an appointment with one of our building consultants to discuss all your building needs including your final home design. The owner-builder process is also a major part of your new venture so discussing the following points will help you along : Purchasing your kit, organising finance, obtaining a contour and feature survey of your site, organising your owner/builder application, development and building permit applications with council, delivery to the building site, organising trades, organising quotes and scheduling, going over the construction process.
- Planning/Development application and Building Permit application through your local Shire/Council – Getaway Homes supplies you with all the necessary documentation for you to gain planning/development approval on your new home build liasing with experienced consultants. We advise on the residential design code and town planning requirements and Building Permit submission. As builders we help you through the administration headache so you can start construction quickly : a Building and Construction Schedule to manage your job, Working Drawings, Engineers report, natHERS Energy Efficiency Certification, HIA building contracts and Specifications, owner/builder application form and approval from the Building Commission, Septic system application forms where required. We step you through these processes and advise you on any shire/council queries during the application process. Once shire/council permits have been issued to you as the owner/builder you are ready to start construction with the delivery of your new kit home.
- Final Kit order and Building/Construction Schedule – Time to place your final order for your new kit home, ready for delivery to your building site. We supply a full Building/Construction schedule that outlines trade and supplier timing and order, so all aspects of your job are managed correctly. You will be able to keep a sharp eye on your home as you work your way through the building and supervision process from start to finish.
- Earthworks and site preparation – All site works should meet any special Shire council requirements including correct compaction if required, drainage requirements and finished floor levels. Also a plan to make sure site access, material storage are discussed early so that you have all these things in place before your kit arrives at the building site.
- Shire/Council checks – As you complete each stage of construction it is good idea to check with your local shire/council to see if they need to inspect the job at each completed stage. Some councils don’t require this to be done these days but it is still a good idea to check.
- Construction start/Sub floor system or concrete slab – Once your earthmoving and compaction is complete and checks have been completed you are ready for either your set out for your stumped floor system or footings and concrete slab to be poured. Stump position drawings are included, pre-manufactured floor trusses/bearers are marked for identification and can be position checked on the drawing/layouts all ready for you to complete your stumped floor system, scaffold has been erected for safety where applicable. Survey pegs in for slab position, accurate as they are completed by your licensed surveyor ready for slab pour by the concreter. Plumbing pre-lay should be completed before slab pour.
- Standing Wall Frames – With your sub-floor system complete or your concrete slab cured you are ready standing wall frames. All wall frames are pre-built and marked for identification so it’s as easy as checking the wall frames with the drawing/layouts and fixing into position. Plum the walls, brace, fix to slab or subfloor connect wall frames together, walls are now standing.
- Roof construction – Again roof trusses are marked for easy identification and have corresponding drawing/layouts. Build your hips or gables first on each end of your home and brace, then layout your pre-made trusses in between, quick and easy. Once your roof is fixed and braced, your verandah beams are on, purlins fixed into position you are ready for your insulation, roof iron ( Colorbond or Zincalume ), gutters and downpipes. Roof complete and a dry home.
- External wall linings/doors and windows – Complete the balustrade and stairs around the home this won’t need to be done if you are building on a concrete slab. Fit and fix your wall wrap insulation around the entire home. Once complete fit all doors and windows, plumb and fix. Now you are ready for fixing your weatherboards, easily done if you follow the manual. If you fit your front door lock you are now secure and what’s called Lockup complete.
- Internal fix out – Furring channel installation is required to the underside of the trusses ready for plasterboard and ceiling insulation fitment. Plumber comes in and pipes out the home, and an Electrician pre-wire of your entire home at this time as well. Fix external wall insulation into walls and if you require internal insulation as well. Waterproofing wet areas and checking in your bath and shower base should be complete. Plastering team ready fix out walls, ceilings, cornices, flush and sand the entire home ready for paint. Carpentry fix out at this stage which includes skirting and architrave, door frames and jambs, fix internal doors and handles, sills if required to inside of windows, all shelving to cupboards ect.
- Internal Fitting out – Cabinetmaker on the ready, installs vanities, laundry cupboards, and kitchen once complete you are ready for the tiler. Tiling completed to the bathrooms, laundry, toilets and kitchen. Plumber to come back and complete his final fix out of tapware, hot water system and mains connections water and sewerage/septic system. Final electrical fit out of switches, lights and light fittings, main switch board, mains connection and metre box. You are now getting close to completion of your owner built home.
- Final completion – Clean your home ready for painting, paving if required, gardens and reticulation, carpets and timber floors, remove your builders sign and bin, letter of completion form to the council/shire and you are ready to move in.
I hope you now have a better understanding of the process of building your own home and we are happy to assist you wherever we can. Whether it’s by phone or you wish to employ one of our supervisors for on-site build assistance we are ready for the job. Ring 1300 812 128 to discuss your needs in building your own home.